Monday, January 3, 2011

more than a New Year's Resolution

I've never really gotten much into the tradition of making a new year's resolution, mainly because I know that I wouldn't stick to it, and I'd rather make a genuine change when the desire is truly there. Nonetheless, it is valuable to look at starting a new year with goals and ideas of handling yourself better, growing closer to Christ, and loving others in a deeper way. At this point in my life, the changes I would like to look into revolve around my school and work- How can I give more? How can I do better? My work is both a ministry and a business wrapped into one, which is wonderful and difficult at the same time. My school (seminary) is wonderful and something I really want to get as much out of as I can...

This leaves me with a dilemma: I want to give more to my ministry, and I want to be more present in my schooling. Last semester I gave all I could to both and it didn't feel like enough; and my boss has mentioned that this second semester at work needs to be better than last semester (in that we as a staff need to be more present and give more to the students we're ministering to). How can I do both? When I was already giving my all, how can I give more? I know there are small things I can do better, cleaning the dorm with more diligence, helping to decorate the spaces with more finesse, but what he's (my boss) is really asking for is more emotional presence, to give even more to the students with our caring and servant hood. It's a valid request. Legitimate, probably even necessary. But can I do it? Correction, can I do it and still be fully present at seminary? I'm honestly not sure.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, mostly just processing. Today is a day off, so I'm sitting in a coffee shop, spending time in prayer and devotional reading. I love this job, this ministry, and I want to continue here and give all I can to this ministry- but I would hate to look back on my seminary experience and wish I had been able to give/get more through this experience.

the coolest thing in all this- i know God has a plan- i don't know what it is, but i know He's got me in His hands.

No comments: