Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 1st... from 2007 to 2011

(I started this on Jan. 11th, but just now finished it... oops)
I suppose it's about time for me to process through January 1st of this year. Ever since 2007, 1/1 has held a different meaning for me, even I don't realize it that very day.

I remember that New Years Eve and day quite clearly... I spent the evening with my bff from high school Megan, we watched like 3 or 4 movies, including the Devil Wears Prada. We had a lot of fun and we slept in on the first. I was asleep when my mom called me, around 12 noon. She told me the news of grandma's death, and tears immediately formed in my eyes. I had super mixed feelings because I was so grateful that she was no longer in pain and that she was with grandpa; but I knew that nothing would ever be the same and I missed her terribly. I also remember thinking how cool it was that she made it into the new year, even if only for a few hours.

Since that year, I have spent sometime at the beginning of each year reflecting on her and how her life affected mine. Or at least thinking about how much she meant to me. This year is a little different because I don't want to coat my writing with sadness of missing her but rather rejoicing for having known her. She was an amazing woman, and anyone who did share any part of life with her is/was truly blessed by her presence. From spoiling the grandkids, to taking care of her church, to keeping her roudy neighbors in line - she was one cool kid. i loved her.

No comments: