Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blessed

In one of my classes this semester at George Fox, we've been talking about the path of the Spiritual Life. What does it mean to be blessed? Often we use the word when we receive something material or when someone we love was sick and has gotten better. There are also many other times we use the word "blessed" but what does is it really mean? Well, it involves suffering, does it not? "Blessed are the poor in spirit". I think that suffering and persevering through suffering produces blessing- or feeling blessed.

I am blessed. I was bored this evening and spent some time looking through some of my old computer documents. I found a lot of old blog posts about or letters to and from former boyfriends. Its amazing how much I've thought about my past relationships since I've been with Josh-- and it hasn't been that long. I've thought about the joys and the sad times with the past beaus... and how each relationship ended- and why...

Don't get me wrong, Josh and are not in a bed of roses... we have differences, we have disagreements- I'm not sitting here thinking "oh things are perfect now!" I just realize how blessed I am to have gone through my past and to end up where I am now.

Yeah, one letter that I re-read tonight, I was reminded how angry it made me when I read it the first time. It made me so angry I cussed more than I'd like to admit. At the time I had to find the best way to respond and not hurt him even more than I already had. It all ended well actually, but even so, I know that even if/when I make Josh angry, he will never treat me that way, nor will he talk to me the way others have in the past-- and for that I am blessed.

:)

No comments: